Become a Member

Get access to more than 30 brands, premium video, exclusive content, events, mapping, and more.

Already have an account? Sign In

Become a Member

Get access to more than 30 brands, premium video, exclusive content, events, mapping, and more.

Already have an account? Sign In


No Time To React: Reliving a harrowing grizzly attack

As he rode through Chilcotin bear country last summer, Tom Kennedy came face-to-face with a sow protecting her cubs

Lock Icon

Unlock this article and more benefits with 50% off.

Already have an Outside Account? Sign in

Outside+ Logo

50% Off Outside+.
$4.99/month $2.49/month*

Get the one subscription to fuel all your adventures.

  • Map your next adventure with our premium GPS apps: Gaia GPS Premium and Trailforks Pro.
  • Read unlimited digital content from 15+ brands, including Outside Magazine, Triathlete, Ski, Trail Runner, and VeloNews.
  • Watch 600+ hours of endurance challenges, cycling and skiing action, and travel documentaries.
  • Learn from the pros with expert-led online courses.
Join Outside+

*Outside memberships are billed annually. You may cancel your membership at anytime, but no refunds will be issued for payments already made. Upon cancellation, you will have access to your membership through the end of your paid year. More Details

Tom Kennedy remembers the speed of the attack. There was no time to react. That August day in the South Chilcotin Mountains north of Pemberton, British Columbia, began the way any mountain biker would hope: a bluebird sky, the air fresh and cool, and trees sparkling with early-morning dew. Kennedy and his wife Andrea Schaeppi know this area well. Though they live on Vancouver Island, the couple has owned a cabin in the old mining town of Bralorne since around 2010, and uses it as a base for winter ski touring and summer mountain biking in a rugged region that’s crisscrossed with old horse and prospector trails.

“It was a stunning day, perfect for riding. It was the first time for us on this route,” Tom told me one day recently, when I met him and Andrea at a café in the Comox Valley.

They had planned an epic ride to cap two glorious summer months of pedaling and exploring the South Chilcotins. It was a 30-mile backcountry adventure ride that would take them up Paradise Creek into the alpine, west around Cardtable Mountain, over Castle Pass and back down to Lower Tyaughton Creek and their truck.

Andrea Schaeppi and Tom Kennedy aren’t strangers to the South Chilcotin Mountains.

It was August 16, 2020. They left at around 9 a.m., spinning up forest service roads before hitting Paradise Creek singletrack. There was a light breeze, and it was T-shirt warm. For the first 12 miles, they were constantly on and off the bike, pushing when it got too steep, pedaling when the grade relented enough to granny-gear upwards. The spruce and pine trees grew more fragrant as sunlight flooded the valley. They were just outside the eastern boundary of South Chilcotin Mountains Provincial Park, a protected wilderness area the size of Denver that has seen a steady increase in backcountry biking over the past 15 years.

“Twelve years ago, if you had mentioned mountain biking in the Chilcotins, a few people knew about it. Now everybody knows about it,” Kennedy says.

It’s popular for good reason. The Chilcotins sit on the dry, eastern slopes of B.C.’s Coast Mountains. The geology has rainbow hues. Windswept mountain passes link deep valleys and meadows that blossom chest deep in wildflowers. It’s also rich in wildlife, and in grizzly bears. The South Chilcotin Ranges Grizzly Bear Population Unit, one of 55 management units in B.C., is home to 222 bears. The population is growing at a rate of between 2 and 6 percent annually. That means it could double by 2035, according to government biologists. The takeaway message: When you bike in these mountains, you’re in bear country. That’s a fact.

Tom and Andrea knew it, and they were prepared. Between them they carried two bear sprays, a first-aid kit and an InReach and Sat phone. Despite its popularity, the Chilcotins are remote. A quick rescue, should something go wrong, is far from a given. Bad wildlife encounters are a game of hidden odds, and the odds were stacking up against Tom and Andrea as they gained elevation.

For some of us, it's a terrifying thought to even think of bringing bear spray on a bike ride. But as Andrea Schaeppi knows all too well, it's even more terrifying to actually use it.

By 2 p.m., they had pushed and pedaled above treeline to Castle Pass. They were already five hours into a long day. Horseflies buzzed around them between gusts of wind. They stopped for a snack and water. To the west, Spruce Lake sparkled like a pool of aquamarine.  So far, they had seen scant sign of bears, other than a few telltale depressions of flattened grass where one had bedded for a rest. Otherwise, they spotted no fresh diggings, claw marks on trees, or bear scat.

“The fun was about to begin,” Tom says, about the well-earned reward of alpine singletrack and descending that to follow a tough ascent to the pass.

They hopped back on their bikes, at first on singletrack that traversed along the ridges. Minutes later they came across a park ranger with two others hiking in the opposite direction. It was a surprise, Tom said, because they had never seen a ranger in the park backcountry before. After a friendly chat, they carried on following trail through wide-open meadows and bench-cut scree. It was the sort of sublime alpine riding with expansive panoramas for which the Chilcotins are renowned. Soon, they dropped elevation and dipped back into the timber, at first through small clumps of stunted conifers, interspersed with open pastures lush with grasses and the broad leaves of Indian hellebore. The sight lines shortened as the trail cornered and wove among the trees. Naturally, they started thinking about bears; not obsessively, but with heightened awareness. Tom told me he is—or was—comfortable in bear country, having worked in the bush for much of his life. For B.C.’s interior grizzlies, it was a calorie consumption time of year. These apex predators have seven months to meet a year’s worth of nutritional need. As Tom and Andrea sunk into the rhythm of their mid-August descent from Castle Pass, the grizzlies of the South Chilcotin were foraging huckleberries and blueberries, digging for the starchy roots of Hedysarum and other plants, and hunting ground squirrels and marmots. The cooling nights of late summer signaled one thing to the bears: winter’s hibernation loomed. Tom led, a few bike lengths in front, shouting out frequently as he always does to alert wildlife.

“He went around the corner and disappeared. I could hear him calling out,” Andrea says.

Then, something changed suddenly, a startling sound, a tortured howl that she says she never wants to hear again. Just out of view, Tom had rounded a corner to find himself between an 800-pound grizzly sow and her two cubs.

“I could see her shimmering in the light and dust coming off her fur. I saw her face and immediately thought, ‘This is not going to go well,’” he recounts.

Instinct told him to put his bike between himself and the bear. But he had no time to complete the thought, let alone execute the action.

“It was instantaneous. She was on me so fast. The acceleration was incredible,” he says.

Seconds later, when Andrea rounded the corner, all she could see was the muscular haunches of a bear. Tom was underneath. The grizzly had charged him, striking his chest and knocking him flat. Andrea, fueled by adrenaline, was already reaching for her bear spray. Tom was dazed and winded, as the bear chomped into his lower right abdomen, tearing through muscle and fat. He looked up to see an open jaw, a millisecond before the animal locked onto his bike helmet, cracking it like a pumpkin dropped on pavement. He can still hear the crunch of plastic.

“I could see her shimmering in the light and dust coming off her fur. I saw her face and immediately thought, ‘This is not going to go well,’”

Then Andrea came at the bear, finger on the trigger, unleashing pepper spray.

“I was walking through a cloud of pepper spray. I couldn’t see anything,” Andrea says.

‘Through hazy blurred vision, she saw the bear scamper 10 yards away. It paused, looked back at the couple as if assessing a threat, then disappeared into the woods with its cubs.

In a matter of seconds, the attack was over. Then there was silence. Tom and Andrea have been talking a lot, details of the day crystallizing in real time. But they are suddenly quiet, as they share their ordeal, casting their minds back to that fateful moment. Tears mist Andreas eyes momentarily. Tom puts a hand on her shoulder. She dabs her face with a sleeve then squares her shoulders. The bond between them that was strong before has grown even stronger.

Kennedy looks back at what's left of the helmet he was wearing during the attack.

“Andrea was a hero. She saved my life,” Tom says softly.

The mauling happened so quick, there was no time to get scared. But after, as he huddled on the ground beneath a down jacket blanket, seriously injured but conscious, terror started to sink in. Wind rustled the aspen trees. Then suddenly the loud crashing of branches prompted Tom to yell, thinking that it was the bear returning; but it was only the sound of a tree, with a 2-foot diameter trunk randomly falling.

Andrea went into first-aid mode. When she exposed the gaping wound near Tom’s groin, she wasn’t sure if she was looking at intestine. There was hardly any bleeding, a blessing. Andrea isn’t squeamish, but she covered the wound with a shirt. That was all she could do. The bear had raked one of his shins with a claw into mess of lacerated flesh and skin. But incredibly, there was just one tiny scratch on his right cheek—the only wound from the bear’s helmet-crunching bite. Tom was scared but lucid. He sent out an emergency signal on his InReach.

“I’m terrible with technology but I remembered all the steps,” he says, shaking his head. Survival is a powerful prerogative. Then they waited for a response, for any indication that someone knew they needed help. It took 15 minutes, but felt like an hour. Time slowed to a crawl, seconds ticked like minutes. Just before 4 p.m., they got confirmation: message received. But relief was quickly followed by a frustrating sat phone conversation with a call center operator.

“They asked us what city we were in,” Tom says, laughing.

After a long back-and-forth, they got word that an air ambulance from Kamloops would be dispatched. Then more agonizing as they waited. They needed something to happen. Tom started calling numbers, he tried the police detachments in Pemberton and Lillooet.

Both his satellite phone and the InReach were crucial tools in saving Kennedy, but rescue still never comes instantly.

“Nobody was picking up,” Tom says. “So, I phoned my friend who volunteers with the Comox Valley Search and Rescue.”

He told him what happened and where. His friend said, “I’m on it.”

After hanging up, his friend dialed Pemberton search and rescue, and things started rolling.

Meanwhile Tom shivered on the ground, the first signs of shock, while Andrea did her best to reassure him that help was on its way.

Dale Douglas, owner and chief pilot at Tyax Adventures, says when news of the attack crackled over the radio, he had a sinking feeling that he would know the victim.

“It raises the hair on the back of your neck,” says Douglas. “It could have happened to anyone.”

Douglas thinks about bears a lot, especially when he sends out a guided group of riders into the Chilcotin backcountry. Sometimes, despite best efforts, things can go sideways. Following the release last summer of a University of British Columbia study of grizzlies in the South Chilcotin, Douglas says media reports over-emphasized the impact of biking on bears and minimized the impact of clear-cut logging and loss of habitat adjacent to the park.

“The other side of the valley from where Tom was attacked is outside the parks heavily logged over the last two years. You have to ask how this affected that sow’s behavior?” Douglas says.

As Pemberton Search and Rescue mustered at the heli hangar, Tom and Andrea were getting anxious. Though there were still hours of daylight left, the specter of darkness hung over their heads. The thought of spending a night alone in the mountains was too much to contemplate. Then a chopper thundered into view and circled overhead before disappearing. It went silent again. Another two hours slipped past. They wondered what was happening. Only later would they learn that it was the air ambulance helicopter, a big Sikorsky S76 crewed by ambulance attendants not equipped for backcountry rescue. Protocol required them to land and await search and rescue support. After an eternity, the sound of another helicopter lifted their hopes. This time it was a nimble Jet Ranger, loaded with a Pemberton rescue volunteer and a doctor. The pilot found a clearing half a mile away. Minutes later the rescuers were kneeling next to Tom. The doctor had Fentanyl.

A sense of euphoric relief washed over him as the powerful analgesic worked its magic. They stabilized Tom, packaged him into a stretcher, then carried it to the waiting helicopter. After loading up the smaller machine, the pilot bumped them up to the ridge for a quick transfer to the Air Ambulance. Andrea kissed Tom on the forehead, said, ‘I love you, I’ll see you soon,’ before hopping back into the search and rescue helicopter. Six hours after the attack, Tom was in the emergency room at Royal Inland Hospital in Kamloops.  Andrea was already driving there to meet him.

Meanwhile, conservation officers flew up to retrieve the mountain bikes and investigate the scene of the attack. They quickly determined that they weren’t dealing with a problem bear that needed to be tracked and destroyed. It was a textbook case of wrong place, wrong time. They called Andrea’s response heroic and said the couple had done everything right; they were making noise and were equipped with bear spray, rescue and first-aid equipment. The only thing Tom says he would do differently is to have his bear spray on his body, not his bike frame. But then again, he questions whether it would have made any difference given the ferocity of the attack.

Tom and Andrea have had months to process and ponder, and even ask the unanswerable question—why Tom, why then? This is the realm of metaphysics, of fate, and in the absence of a reasonable explanation, it would be easy to latch onto something as illogical as ill will toward a wild animal that has evolved to the top of the food chain. But not Tom and Andrea.

“The bear was doing what it is supposed to do—protecting its cubs,” Tom says.

There is much to be thankful for. A year later, Tom has made a near 100-percent recovery, except for some tingling nerve damage. He has scars as souvenirs, physical and emotional ones. It’s still too fresh to know how the attack has impacted their mental health. The question of whether they return to ride in the Chilcotin backcountry, elicits silence, a shrug, and the exchange of searching glances. Both mention PTSD; it’s real. In many ways Andrea had the worst seat watching her husband being mauled by a protective grizzly sow that would kill for its offspring. You can’t un-see something like that.

“The shocking thing has how quickly day can change, in 5 seconds,” Andrea says.  “I remember the stress. It’s hard and it’s not. Tom is still here.”

Photos: Baxter Redfern